Kindergartners worked hard to make these fabulous florescent butterflies! We began by watching a BrainPop about butterflies so students could get an idea of the body parts and designs. Then, we folded a piece of paper and did step-by-step drawing of a butterfly. We started with a semi-circle for the head:
Then added curved lines for the thorax and abdomen:
Next we drew a big number 3 for the wings:
And filled them in with zigzags:
We added antennae too:
After the drawing was completed, students painted over their lines with black paint. Then, they folded their paper and gently pressed and rubbed to create a “print.”
Sometimes the paint had dried a little and didn’t transfer over all the way. So students problem solved by painting over their hard-to-see lines.
Off they went to the drying rack to dry.
The next week, we used neon Versatemp paint to fill in the shapes. Students were encouraged to try and paint their shapes symmetrically.
I love how these turned out! They are bright and beautiful but also a little strange in a Rorschach kind of way. 🙂
❤ Ms. K